About Lynn Hoyland
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Couples Counselor & Parent and Teen Counselor
Phoenix, Scottsdale, AZ
I began working with teens the summer of 1979, at a group home in Assumption, Illinois. It was the summer before entering my senior year in college where I was studying Psychology.
That job pretty much sealed the deal for me. I loved it! It was extremely challenging, but very rewarding. I began to see another side of life that I had not experienced growing up. These kids had difficult lives. I found I wanted to help them. I discovered I wanted to make a difference in their lives.
After graduating with a Bachelor‘s degree in 1980, I immediately started working with teens in a state institution located in Decatur, Illinois.
In 1987 I completed a Masters Degree in Marriage and Family Counseling. Graduate school was a turning point for me. Although I excelled in school, I was struggling with an addiction to alcohol. I “looked great” on the outside, but was suffering terribly on the inside. It was during that time, that my life began to truly change. Two years after graduation, I entered a 12 step recovery program and began my journey toward personal fulfillment and self growth. I live a grateful, sober, and incredibly blessed life as a result!
Over the last 38 years, I have had the opportunity to work with teens and their parents in many different treatment settings. I’ve worked in locked residential centers, group homes, acute psychiatric settings, chemical dependency programs, community service agencies, emergency services, and private practice therapy in Scottsdale, Phoenix, and other locations.
I am passionate about my counseling work with teens, couples and families, and understand the multiple challenges families face. As a result of my own personal growth, and many years of professional experience, I bring confidence and integrity to this process of change. As a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, I also uphold the strictest ethical standards in my field and the highest standard of care I can achieve.
I am licensed as a therapist and/or certified in the following areas:
- MFT 0346-1993 (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist AZ) to present
- Collaborative Divorce Certification 2001 (Mental Health/Child Specialist Coach)
- Certified Relapse Prevention Specialist, Terrence Gorski 1991
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing 1990
I am a member of the following therapist organizations:
- The American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists — 1993-2016
- The Arizona Association of Marriage and Family Therapists — 1993-2016
- Collaborative Divorce Professionals of Arizona — 2002-2009
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals — 2002-2009
- Therapist Leadership Institute — 2009-2011
- Couples Therapy Training — The Developmental Model of Couples Therapy (advanced training) — Ellen Bader and Peter Pearson, 2009-2013
- NICBM — National Institute for the Application of Behavioral Medicine
- Collaborative Divorce/Child Specialist Role- Association for Conflict Resolution 7th Annual Conference 2007
- Parenting Education- Workshops for Youth and Family Summer Workshops 2006
- Substance Abuse/Chemical Dependency in Adolescents- National Charity League 2006
- Eating Disorders in Adolescents- National Charity League 2005
If you are interested in a free initial 10 minute consultation to find out how I might help you through counseling, please contact me.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Lynn Hoyland, M.A., M.F.T.
Lynn Hoyland, M.A., LMFT
P.O. Box 71143
Phoenix, AZ 85050
Lynn Hoyland provides therapy and counseling to couples, teens and parents of teens in Scottsdale and Phoenix, AZ.
“10 Great Steps to Op-Teen-Ism”! Get your free report on the
best ways to
build esteem in your teen
You will also receive my “Teen Esteem!” newsletter twice a month that is packed with successful parenting strategies and teen issues.
When you focus on the problem, the problem gets bigger.
When you focus on the solution, the solution gets bigger!